Flavours of a grilled chicken marinadeEditorial Team
A grilled chicken marinade can become a savoury, slightly sweet, and tangy addition to any cookout thanks to the complex flavours brought out by the ingredients in the marinade.
The ingredients that are in your marinade can change the flavour brought to the meat drastically. If you’re in doubt about the different flavour profiles that marinades can bring to the table, or you haven’t found a marinade you love yet, then try out some marinades featuring different ingredients.
Here are some of the main ingredients that you should look out for in your marinades to get that perfectly succulent and juicy piece of chicken.
- Fat: Using ingredients like olive oil can break down the different flavour compounds in your marinade and make it easier for them to be absorbed into the chicken. Fat is also a component that has been known to add moisture to any piece of meat, and since chicken is considered a lean meat, adding some fat will make it juicy and tender.
- Acid: Consider adding ingredients like balsamic vinegar or lemon juice as they help to tenderise the meat by breaking down the lean muscle fibres. The acid is also a great flavour profile for anyone who has an affinity for a tangy and rich piece of chicken.
- Salt: One of the key steps of any dish is to add the right amount of salt. Using soy sauce is a great way to add some necessary saltiness to your meat. Soy sauce can also increase the moisture of the chicken and help you produce a more flavoursome and juicier piece of meat.
How does it do it? The salt hydrates the muscle tissues of the chicken and prevents the chicken from contracting when it’s cooking. This stops the moisture of the chicken from seeping out, which means that after it’s been grilled it will still be a juicy piece of meat.
- Sweetener: Adding sweetener doesn’t mean you chuck in a handful of sugar, but adding a marinade with the right amount of brown sugar, or a similar sweet component, will complement the salt and acidity of your marinade mixture. As the more experienced grillers out there will already know, sugar also helps to caramelise the meat and gives you those stunning grill marks that make your grilled chicken not just tasty, but also an absolute head turner.
- Flavour enhancers: Aside from the ingredients we just mentioned, for the most delectable grilled chicken marinade , you can also try marinades with ingredients like garlic, onion, mustard, pepper, and dried herbs. Look out for different grilled chicken marinades that make these ingredients their hero for a different taste every time.
Reasons to love a grilled chicken marinade
While chicken is a staple at any cookout, it’s no secret that it often pales in comparison to meats like pork or beef.
But the addition of a few simple ingredients can make any piece of chicken go from a predictable dish to the crowd favourite. All it takes is choosing the right grilled chicken marinade to transform the flavour to anything from sweet and savoury to spicy and tangy.
Now that you have that extra blast of flavour, you can pair your chicken with plain rice, buttered or grilled vegetables, or even mashed potatoes.
If you’re aiming for something a bit more complex, you can even use different marinades to get different flavours and use it in dishes like wraps, salads, grain bowls, or even sandwiches to transform this humble piece of meat into a very versatile dish.
Marinating chicken with new flavours
Now that you know some of the key ingredients to look out for the next time you’re shopping for some great marinades for your chicken, don’t go with the regular, boring flavours that you’ve tried a million times before.
There are some great marinades out there that are sure to pack a punch and leave a lasting impression.
Chicken is a great meat to try out new flavours and experiment with your grilling menus. So, the next time you have a cookout, don’t chicken out of experimenting with new flavours. Dive deep into the wonderful world of marinades where chicken is king!