- The E-jen container makes the perfect container for brining meats as the internal lid will keep the meat submerged in the brine.
- Designed as the perfect container for kimchi, sauerkraut and pickles combining the ancient Korean Onggi (breathing earthenware) principle with modern, easy-to-use technology, including a double lid to minimise smells.
- High quality polypropylene plastic mixed with 7-10% natural clay for optimal porosity, free of BPA, DEHP and lead, heat/cold resistant, dishwasher safe, easy handling/cleaning.
- Adjustable inner vacuum lid to minimize air inside, protect the surface of the food where harmful aerobic bacteria tend to grow, and prevent pickles in liquid from floating.
- Also great for other foods requiring airtight storage (fresh vegetables, coffee beans, bread, seaweed, cookies, cereals, grains, dry pet food).
The E-jen container is widely loved in Korea as the best modern container for fermenting and storing kimchi and jang (Korean fermented sauces). It is also great for brining as the inner lid will hold food completely immersed under the brine, and excellent for other foods requiring airtight storage, such as fresh vegetables, coffee beans, bread, seaweed, cookies, cereals, grains and even dry pet foods.
The E-jen Kimchi container combines the ancient Korean Onggi (breathing earthenware) principle with modern, easy-to-use technology. Onggi, Korean earthenware, dates back to 57 BC when it was first used to store various foods. It is referred to as the “breathing pot” because of its unique porosity, and it is known as an excellent vessel for fermented foods like kimchi, pickles and jang (Korean fermented sauces). Although Onggi is amazing in many ways, it is difficult to use in a modern home environment because it is very heavy, difficult to clean and awkward to keep in the fridge. The E-jen container was developed to solve all those problems, while maintaining the age-old ingenuity and usefulness of Onggi.
The container is made from high quality durable polypropylene plastic mixed with 7-10% natural clay for optimal porosity. Like Onggi, the container has very fine pores which allow minimal air flow. This keeps the food fresh while preventing aerobic bacteria from thriving.
The simple yet brilliant design of the inner vacuum lid allows easy adjustment of the lid position according to the level of food. So, regardless of the amount of food, the container induces an anaerobic environment in which the beneficial bacteria (lactic acid producing bacteria) thrive and the crunchy texture and vibrant colour are maximized. The carbon dioxide released by lactic acid producing bacteria is absorbed back into the kimchi juice, creating a more refreshing taste.
In the old days, Koreans used large outer leaves of napa cabbage to cover the surface of kimchi to prevent mould forming. Today, many Koreans use cling wrap instead. For kimchi with liquid, the old practice was to use large flat rocks to keep the vegetables in the liquid. The inner vacuum lid of the E-jen container now does the job of the leaves and the rocks, protecting the surface of the food where harmful aerobic bacteria tend to grow, and preventing pickles in the liquid from floating.
Although the smell of kimchi is the result of healthy bacteria producing lactic acid, it can be quite powerful. The E-jen container’s double lids contain the smell better than most containers, preventing the smell from filling the kitchen or the fridge.
Care of the Container
The E-jen container is easy to handle and clean. It fits well into your fridge or freezer. It is dishwasher safe and hot/cold resistant. You can use it in the microwave without the lids. It is free of BPA, DEHP and lead. All components are made with materials that are FDA approved. Avoid extreme shock or direct heat, e.g. from a stove. Use soft cloths when hand-washing for long lasting appearance. Always have the valve open when pressing down or removing the inner vacuum plate. Move the inner lid down slowly to prevent any splash up through the valve opening.